[gambit-list] Gambit for mobile?

mikel evins mevins at clozure.com
Mon Feb 11 17:00:17 EST 2013

On Feb 11, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:

> What's the state of Gambit support for mobile app development?
>
> Can we have tutorials for writing Android, iOS, and Windows Phone apps in Gambit?

That's probably a good idea.

I've had good success writing iOS code using Gambit, but it's not a casual undertaking. I'm not sure how easy it is to get going with the latest sources, but each time I've set up a toolchain successfully, it's taken quite a bit of work. In fact, that's why I don't know what the current state of things is; it's been so much effort to get the toolchain set up and working well that I've been very reluctant to perturb it once it's working.

(That's not all Gambit's fault; iOS development is a morass of complicated dependencies that randomly catch fire and blow up.)

I would be a good idea for someone who has gotten it to work to put together a tutorial showing how to do it. That, too, would be a lot of work, and I'm not the best candidate right at the moment, because, as I said, I don't know the latest details. But if the discussion continues, and no one else who is better informed volunteers to do it, then I might eventually be persuaded to catch up with the latest state of Gambit and write something down.

Besides, I want to compile Bard to Javascript, and it looks like I'll need to educate myself on the latest state of Gambit in order to do that, anyway.