[gambit-list] How to contribute patches

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Dec 18 14:15:59 EST 2013

Recently some new contributors have joined the Gambit project and the question of how to best submit patches to the Gambit source code was raised.  Let me repeat what I said privately.

Patches to the runtime library, documentation, unit tests, scripts, examples, contributed apps, etc. are best submitted using github using the "fork and pull" model.

You need a github account and then create a fork of Gambit on github by visiting the page https://github.com/feeley/gambit and clicking on the "Fork" button in the upper right corner.  This creates your own repository.  After cloning this repository to your disk, you can make modifications and then commit them to your github repository (with the commands "git add", "git commit" and "git push").  When you are satisfied with your changes, send a "pull request" by following the directions on the page https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests .

After receiving the pull request, I will review it and if all is OK, merge it with the main Gambit repo.