[gambit-list] HTTPS client

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Dec 18 08:47:37 EST 2013

On Dec 18, 2013, at 7:10 AM, Álvaro Castro-Castilla <alvaro.castro.castilla at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to easily connect to a HTTPS server with (open-tcp-client) or variant? The SSL part seems to be left to the user, is that so?

There is no builtin support for SSL.  I have considered implementing this with OpenSSL or PolarSSL (which has the advantage of being lightweight and portable, see https://polarssl.org), but it is a non trivial job due to the complex API required for SSL.  Moreover, this would add an external library dependency for Gambit (the only one), which is a problem for portability, so a configure option would likely be added to disable SSL support.

If someone wants to tackle this (i.e. implementing builtin support for SSL), I can help with the integration with Gambit's I/O system.  It would sure be nice to be able to open secure connections with Gambit.