[gambit-list] Gambit installer on OS X

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Dec 10 23:21:54 EST 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Tomas Möre <tomas.o.more at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tried the installer on OSX Mavericks with no problems.
>
> Might be obvious but:
> I remember that there are problems installing Gambit without command line tools.

You have a good point.  I will try to launch the installer on a machine where Xcode is not installed.

> All OSX users must remember to install xcode and the command line tools.
> In systems earlier then mavericks this is done directly from xcode. (open the preferences it is in there somewhere sorry don't remember exactly where)
>
> On Mavericks when you have installed xcode simply type "xcode-select --install" into the terminal and it will download and install the necessary compilers.
> Sadly it always installs clang and llvm, the gcc and g++ on osx binaries links to the llvm equivalents.
> (by the way the compilation of source files are incredibly slow using clang and llvm!)

Yes, clang is known to compile Gambit slowly.  It is a bummer that their "gcc" is really a front for llvm.  I try to keep up with the latest GNU gcc on my machine so that I can compile Gambit efficiently.  On my MBP with GNU gcc, it takes only 30 seconds of real time to build Gambit with --enable-single-host using "make -j8".