[gambit-list] Promises & lazy thunks

Jason Felice jason.m.felice at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 16:31:54 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca>wrote:

Primitives like "cons" and "list" should not force their arguments because
> they are not strict (i.e. they don't need to know the value of the
> arguments).
>
> It isn't clear if type predicates are strict or not.  I can see arguments
> both ways.

Hmm, I can't think of a reason to make them lazy.  What's the thought?

If you notice a strict primitive that should force an argument and that
> doesn't, please let me know and I will fix it.

The REPL printer doesn't auto-force.

Also, I forgot that promises are not "removed" after forcing, the way
Haskell thunks are deleted.  I was hoping for an air-tight abstraction.
 That's probably not gonna happen, huh?

I suppose that's not too bad for my purposes.