[gambit-list] iOS Embedding -- Don't see errors / exceptions

Axis Sivitz aosivitz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 17:25:33 EDT 2013

Errors thrown from scheme code embedded in an iOS app don't get displayed anywhere. Instead, the the program just hangs.

I see the same behavior in the example GambitREPL app. If I add in an error (for example, calling (cons 1), wrong is the number of arguments) to the program.scm file, it will hang on launch, and the error message won't be displayed in stdout (which is ideally where I'd like it to go).

I'm using the following debug_settings:

   debug_settings =
   (debug_settings
    & ~___DEBUG_SETTINGS_UNCAUGHT_MASK)
   | (___DEBUG_SETTINGS_UNCAUGHT_ALL
      << ___DEBUG_SETTINGS_UNCAUGHT_SHIFT);

   debug_settings =
   (debug_settings
    & ~___DEBUG_SETTINGS_ERROR_MASK)
   | (___DEBUG_SETTINGS_ERROR_REPL
      << ___DEBUG_SETTINGS_ERROR_SHIFT);

but I've also tried

   debug_settings =
   (debug_settings
    & ~___DEBUG_SETTINGS_REPL_MASK)
   | (___DEBUG_SETTINGS_REPL_STDIO
      << ___DEBUG_SETTINGS_REPL_SHIFT);

and I've also tried wrapping my scheme calls in

___BEGIN_TRY
___END_TRY

I apologize for all the questions regarding setting up an iOS/Scheme development environment, but I'll be sure to document everything once I get it all working to help other folks in the future.

Thanks,
Axis