[gambit-list] null device on windows

Ralph Moritz ralph.moeritz at outlook.com
Sat Apr 13 17:18:31 EDT 2013

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:41:17 +0200, Mikael <mikael.rcv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re BH, you may be interested in checking out the nonsyntactic tower
> version at https://github.com/pereckerdal/blackhole/tree/legacy as >that
> one is most tested and tried currently.
>
> You find a current version of this nicely bundled on
> http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/wiki/index.php/>Dumping_Grounds#Module_systems
> under the download link
> http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/wiki/images/6/64/2012-11-28-bh-non->syntactictower%2Bbundled-libs.tar.gz
> .
>
> For installation please refer to the mailing list post of 2012-11-29.
>
> Further updates are coming to Black Hole, at a currently unspecified
> date.
>
> I would guess it works great on Windows either directly or with some
> trivla tweak, feel free to let the list know.

Thanks for this info. I downloaded the bundled "non syntactic tower"
version you linked to & followed the instructions in your ML post.
Unfortunately I get the following error when launching `bsc'

*** ERROR IN ##u8vector->object -- deserialization error

A quick grep found the offending code in module.scm, function
`read-ns-table'. Not sure how to go about fixing that.

> Now, did this solve your problem, or do you by some reason want to
> proceed with digging into the (compile-file-to-target "/dev/>null" ...
> issue with syntactictower BH?

Well, as described above I couldn't get the "non syntactic tower" version
to work, so unless there's a quick fix for the issue I'd be tempted to
just fix Gambit to treat an argument of `NUL' to `compile-file-to-target'
as a special case & not prepend the CWD. Can you provide help with either
issue?

Regards,
Ralph