[gambit-list] Your feedback would be much appreciated re: Proposal for enabling IO errors to be reported through returning of a custom value instead of by throwing exception, through DSL with exports: ##io-error-behavior param, ##default-io-error-behavior unique value, ##last-io-error param.

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Apr 4 16:47:23 EDT 2013

I've added a port-specific exception handler that can be set with the new "port-io-exception-handler-set!" procedure. I/O exceptions which are detected by the I/O primitives are passed to this handler (if one is set) by calling it in tail position with respect to the primitive.  That way, you can define the specific behavior you need in your application.  In particular, if the handler returns a value (instead of raising an exception), then that value will be the result of the primitive.

Here's an example:

(let ((p (open-tcp-client "localhost:9999")))
  (port-io-exception-handler-set!
   (lambda (e) (display-exception e (current-output-port)) #f))
  (pp (list 'return-value= (read-u8 p))))

that prints:

Connection refused
(read-u8 '#<input-output-port #4 (tcp-client "localhost" 9999)>)
(return-value= #f)

Note that timeouts are not considered to be io-exceptions.  That shouldn't be a problem because a timeout handler can be set explicitly for any port in addition to the io-exception handler.

Marc