[gambit-list] Custom software port query

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:26:56 EDT 2013

Dear Marc,

It would rock to be able to define custom software ports in Gambit, with
complete control over the IO primitive behavior on its use, in contrast
with the bidirectional u8vector ports available now, which provide this in
a very limited way.

Possible applications are any kinds of stream or channel protocol or
mechanism, like, SSL server, SSL client, GZIP, HTTP.

Data to transfer over them would be both binary, character and object.

(I'm well aware that Gambit contains all structures for doing this
internally, so it is a quite straightforward usecase, though it would
utilize things Gambit does not export today so such attempts would become
hacks today, so this is why I brought it to conversation now; perhaps
a general DSL could be achievable that exports it to userland.)

Do you have any thoughts on this topic, or see any straight-enough way
today of doing this?

Thanks and best regards,
Mikael