[gambit-list] executable works, loadable module segfaults

REPLeffect repleffect at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 06:56:09 EDT 2012

Alas I can claim no haughty inspiration... :-D

The conversion code is pretty much a blatant ripoff of Marc's code for
converting from Qt
QStrings from the "Guide" source code.  You can see it in the lib/guide
directory in the Gambit source code (in _guide.scm, guide.cpp, guide .h,
etc)...I actually started having the problem when using that same code
to convert QStrings.  At the time I didn't realize that it was a
platform-specific problem, and since it worked fine when statically compiled
into an executable, I wondered if it had something to do with some strange
issue with dynamic binding and the fact that QStrings are implicitly shared.
So I tried to do it with std::string, and lo and behold it has the same problem.

I think the #f in (c-define-type string "string" "string_to_SCMOBJ"
"SCMOBJ_to_string" #f) is actually right in this case.  That's the way
it was in Marc's QString code, and
I think it is because the string object is being passed by value, not
by a pointer, so
I think the cleanup will occur automatically in that case (the QStrings were
being passed the same way in the original code).

I already did printf's in the conversion code, and I also rebuilt Gambit with
--enable-debug and stepped through what I could.  I could never get it to
trace throught the ___alloc_scmobj() function on Windows, however (not
sure why).

repleffect