[gambit-list] On cygwin, how compile Gambit with cygwin as target(host?) (as to rely on its libraries with its way of console and file access etc.) and not mingw?

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 12:54:52 EDT 2012

So typically installation would more or less be ./configure
--enable-single-host [--enable-cplusplus]; make; make install .

Some months ago I did this on a Cygwin installation (using a nonstandard
console driver i.e. not the Microsoft-provided console as used by cmd
etc.), and the gsc binary ran within cygwin smoothly.

Yesterday I did the same thing again, and what happened when starting gsc
was that it created a new console window atop/beyond the Cygwin console
window from where gsc was started (and in which it was supposed to
execute), and also, the gsc binary seemed to use Windows- not Unix-naming,
i.e. "c:\\dir\\dir\\etc." .

The configure script's output was the following, that just makes it weirder:

checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking target system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking for gcc... gcc
[...]

Cygwin apparently made a 'major release' recently and at least now the
default gcc distribution used, is called "gcc-mingw-" something, even
though I switched to the "gcc-gcc4.4" or something, perhaps still
there's something fish in there - which would be funny still, as I
suppose Cygwin's gcc by default should produce Cygwin binaries.

How resolve?

Brgds