[gambit-list] Gamsock now up on the Dumping Ground

Jeff Read bitwize at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 11:19:57 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Sven Hartrumpf <hartrumpf at gmx.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the library, Jeff.
>
> Talking about sockets:
> For those of you that missed the draft SRFI-106 "Basic socket interface",
> please have a look at it and the discussion

Imnsho the proposed API is clunky and not as complete as Gamsock's API
(which is really quite small and elementary, btw).

All credit goes to Olin Shivers as the designer of the API I used for
Gamsock; I just made some tweaks such as raising Gambit os-exceptions
when a socket procedure returns an error, the 'internet6-address'
procedures, etc. I've yet to encounter the API designed by Shivers
that isn't elegant and well-though-out; it's one of his trademarks. :)

Now that I know of the existence of `##open-predefined' I will look
into the possibility of creating an "upper layer" for Gamsock that
uses port I/O to send and receive over sockets. And there is of course
still database (e.g. DNS name resolution) support left to implement...