[gambit-list] Systematic Segmentation fault on MacOS 10.8.2

Richard Prescott rdprescott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 05:10:32 EDT 2012

Hello everybody,

First of all, thanks in advance to people contributing and helping out others.   I am new to this list, to scheme, and even to MacOS so apologize my ignorance.   Although, I am a old timer Unix C programmer so we should meet somewhere.  I choose gambit to learn scheme because I am from Montreal and because I am interested into BIT and PICOBIT.

Unfortunately, apart from saying hello, I come to this mailing list for help.  I followed instructions off the website

$ wget http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.3/source/gambc-v4_3_2-devel.tgz
$ tar zxf gambc-v4_3_2-devel.tgz
$ cd gambc-v4_3_2-devel
$ ./configure --enable-single-host
$ make bootstrap
and then boom!
$ ./bin/gsi-script
Segmentation fault: 11
Moreover:

$ gdb ./bin/gsi-script
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1820) (Sat Jun 16 02:40:11 UTC 2012)
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared libraries .. done

(gdb) r
Starting program: /Users/rip/Documents/Ideas/Embedded_Lisp/BIT/gambc-v4_3_2-devel/bin/gsi-script
Reading symbols for shared libraries +............................. done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x0000000000000001
0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x1