[gambit-list] What papers and strategies underly Gambit's design, in particular the compiler & VM?

Patrick Li patrickli.2001 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 20:08:14 EDT 2012

I have read through some articles on partial evaluation before, and found
that most of them are either too trivial (e.g. the popular printf partial
evaluator) or that the article immediately delves into the theory and too
quickly jumps into notation. An explanation of Gambit's partial evaluator
applied to a simple example, and a description of the various bookkeeping
datastructures used would be extremely helpful to me. The description of
the datastructures would be extremely helpful in particular. I am also
interested in whether the partial evaluator is built as a separate system,
or whether it is closely coupled with Gambit's interpreter.

Thanks very much!
  -Patrick