[gambit-list] What about Gambit did you always want to get a good understanding of? (design of any aspect, compiler & VM)

Estevo euccastro at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 23:20:23 EDT 2012

Thanks to you and Marc for offering your time and knowledge!

(Some thoughts follow after the quote.)

> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 00:57:11 +0300

> From: Mikael <mikael.rcv at gmail.com>
> Subject: [gambit-list] What about Gambit did you always want to get a
>     good understanding of? (design of any aspect, compiler & VM)
> To: gambit-list at iro.umontreal.ca
>
> (let's recontextualize the q from the previous email to a separate thread:)
>

> Anyone please feel free to suggest questions or angles on subjects that
> should be addressed in this document, so that these will be covered too.
>
> So basically, what about Gambit have you always wanted to get a good
> understanding of (and which is not quite obvious from looking at Gambit's
> sourcecode), and how would you formulate the questions that would take you
> to getting this understanding?

This is probably lazy and not very helpful of me, but my reply to that question would be Overview/Start Here.  A generalistic article that listed the various aspects of Gambit, and for each of such aspects:

- links to papers that may be helpful in understanding the implementation (the email you sent earlier would make an excellent starting point in this regard -- thanks for collecting those!), and
- links to the github pages of the most relevant files in the source code.

The latter could be pegged to some specific version to make sure docs and code don't fall out of sync.  I imagine most of the time it will not be critical to point to the current head.

Regards,

Estevo.