[gambit-list] What papers and strategies underly Gambit's design, in particular the compiler & VM?

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 17:44:51 EDT 2012

(dear ml, please see the question to you highlighted in green below)

2012/6/8 Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca>

> Mikael.  Sorry for the long silence... I've been rather busy lately.
>
> As you might expect documenting all of the inner workings of Gambit is a
> major endeavor.  You will find in my publications some of the most
> important design strategies that were used while building Gambit.  I know
> that it doesn't cover all aspects, and some important things are yet to be
> published.
>
> Currently I don't have time for an open-ended documentation effort.
>  However, I am willing to invest a few hours a week to explain the design
> strategies that users care to know about.
>
> So how about this...  someone should create a wiki page with an ordered
> wish list of specific things to document.  Every week I will pick the next
> thing off of the list and reply to the ML.

Cool, great!

The way you propose sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

I intend to put something like this together soon. If others would make sth
like this I suppose just kind of merging the two would be fine.

Anyone please feel free to suggest questions or angles on subjects that
should be addressed in this document, so that these will be covered too.

So basically, what about Gambit have you always wanted to get a good
understanding of (and which is not quite obvious from looking at Gambit's
sourcecode), and what are the questions that would take you to getting this
understanding?

By the way, in the list of publications you forgot to put my PhD which
> documents the implementation of futures (
> http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~feeley/papers/FeeleyPhD.pdf).

Ah right, current Gambit has a the |future| form so it's clearly in the
current version indeed.

> Marc

Brgds, Mikael