[gambit-list] How to use a module?

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Jan 20 10:09:28 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:46:14AM +0800, Meng Zhang wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca>wrote:
> >
> > I'm open to suggestions on how to include Black Hole in the Gambit
> > distribution.  The problem I see is that Black Hole is maintained
> > separately (which is a *good* thing) but it means that the version
> > distributed with Gambit will not be up to date.  Perhaps one way around
> > this is to add a configure switch (--enable-black-hole) to automatically
> > download the latest Black Hole and install it along Gambit.  Perhaps this
> > should be done using Alex Shinn's new Snow package system...  There are so
> > many options!
> >
> > From WG's wiki http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/Snow
> Snow itself is an module management system depends on r7rs scheme, which
> solved half of the job blackhole did.
> Anyway, doe it means that Gambit *will* support r7rs?

Snow seems to be part of the big language, not the small language.

>From the looks of its description on the r7rs committee wiki
(http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/Snow), it seems to provide the
information needed for automatic repackaging as a Debian package, for
example.

Maybe that's a kind of an answer.  Make Debian packages for Gambit,
Blackhole, etc, with dependencies, so that installing Blackhole will
install gambit, and provide the necessary symbolic links and such in
the postinstall script?

Not sure what form this should take in distro-independentt source,
though.

-- hendrik