[gambit-list] gambit 4.6.4 taking long time to compile blackhole

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Feb 15 18:14:56 EST 2012

On 2012-02-15, at 6:06 PM, Álvaro Castro-Castilla wrote:

> Maybe just activating O2 if gcc >= 4.7 (if the patch Alex was telling about works);

That's too brittle.  I know that -O2 was *not* OK with the gcc that was current a few years ago, and -O2 is OK with gcc 4.2.1, yet -O2 is *not* OK with gcc 4.5.3, yet it is OK with gcc 4.7.  There's really no evidence that gcc's algorithms will not get worse after gcc 4.7 (and in fact the past history of the evolution of gcc points to chaotic changes in the algorithmic complexity).

> then O3 if more than 8gb ram available and gcc >= 4.7.

I don't know how to test for this portably.