[gambit-list] is this a bug in ffi?

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Feb 6 12:57:37 EST 2012

On 2012-02-06, at 12:53 PM, Álvaro Castro-Castilla wrote:

> Does it really reduce code size to wrap the function instead of explicitly cast? I've always believed that casts are mostly a compiler artifact coming from static typing, didn't usually generate complex code for runtime...

Relatively speaking, there is quite a bit of code generated for each c-lambda in the code.  So if you write your code so that there is a single c-lambda (the "wrapper"), it will be more compact.  The casts themselves don't add code.  It is the calls to the type conversion functions and the exception handling code.