[gambit-list] Any hints on how to make a supersimple Mac OS X Cocoa app from console w.o. XCode, like, a window that registers keystrokes?

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 10:25:54 EST 2012

Hi Jason,

2012/12/26 Jason Felice <jason.m.felice at gmail.com>

> I'm putting together an Objective-C bridge for gambit here:
> https://github.com/eraserhd/gambit-objc.git  It's not complete, but the
> idea is to have a form which can call Objective-C methods using
> keyword-syntax from gambit.  Eventually, it'll support subclassing
> Objective-C classes.

Great!

Just to make it clear to someone who is not so introduced into Objective C
such as what facilities for dynamic invocations and alike it has: What is
the scope of your bridge, in a bit more detail?

For instance, with your bridge, could a user dynamically create, access and
invoke methods of object instances of NSApplication, NSWindow, NSView etc.
and perhaps even overload methods in them?

Any neat facility for ObjC to Scheme callbacks?

> As to how to show a Window on Mac OS X - I'm not sure about that one.
>  I've only done iOS development.  You'll probably need to subclass some
> kind of view controller (subclassing is not _yet_ supported by
> gambit-objc), override loadView (or whatever it is on Mac OS) to build a
> view hierarchy, since you probably don't want to build the UI with
> interface builder, which is part of Xcode, then other stuff I don't know.

Mm, http://www.cocoawithlove.com/2010/09/minimalist-cocoa-programming.htmlexplains
how to do ObjC-Cocoa stuff without XCode.

> Maybe find a simple Mac project on github that you can use for reference?
>
> -Jason

Brgds,
Mikael