[gambit-list] Running the benchmarks

Alex Queiroz asandroq at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:44:27 EDT 2012

Hallo,

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Could you report your findings?

I tested GCC 4.7.1 from MacPorts and Clang 4.0 from Xcode 4.4. This
machine is a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.8, has a Corei7 at 2GHz with
8GB of RAM and a SSD. I used the following options for both compilers:

-Wno-unused -Wno-write-strings -O3 -fno-math-errno -fschedule-insns2
-fno-trapping-math -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fmodulo-sched
-freschedule-modulo-scheduled-loops -march=core2 -mssse3
-fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -fno-common -mieee-fp

Clang complained about '-fmodulo-sched' and
'-freschedule-modulo-scheduled-loops' but proceeded anyway. GCC built
Gambit-C at around 6m and Clang took 14m. GCC also built the
benchmarks noticeably faster. It seems that Clang uses a little less
memory now, because I also tested building Gambit-C with 'make -j 4',
and the system did not start swapping. The benchmarks timings were
annexed to my previous email.

Cheers,
--
-alex