[gambit-list] iOS Gambit REPL question

Edward P Luwish ed at luwish.com
Mon Apr 30 14:37:47 EDT 2012

Nope, this is friendly enough for me, thank you!  It will allow me to use the editor to enter some seldom-changed code without cluttering it with 100 windows that need to be scrolled through.

I noticed that "main" can only be saved as "main.scm" - I assume that if I reset the application, it will revert to the original main.  I can of course get around this by creating my own initialization script, and adding one easily-remembered line in "main" to load it.

It's not clear from the Wiki whether I need to register to edit it, or if anyone can do it, but I doubt I could put a link in the sidebar for a special iOS page.  There is an "iPhone" page already, but it's not linked anywhere.

An iOS page would be friendly.  Perhaps the app can be made to link there rather than the main page.

The app is just a REPL, and does not have access to the full power of Gambit, but it's perfect for learning and experimentation.  As a result, it's going to attract a lot of people who are not that familiar with Scheme, so you, me, the community, should help them, yet keep handholding to a minimum.  Discovery is 99% of the fun and purpose of learning, as long as it isn't too frustrating.  I found the LISTSERV, subscribed, asked - that was my first step.  Now I'd like to help others, but not make it _too_ easy for them.

The rest of the Wiki is an excellent starting point for everything except the iOS app, by the way.

Ed