[gambit-list] Native threading with C++?

Nathan Sorenson nathan.d.sorenson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:59:43 EDT 2012

> So the overhead of supporting multiple instances of the Gambit VM is between 8% and 12% for the version of fib which accesses global variables frequently, and is 3% for the Gambit compiler.

This seems to be very encouraging news!

I was thinking how this might apply to the situation on iOS, where we
may want to wrap certain asynchronous activities in Objective-C
blocks. Would it be possible to have code that is destined to be
called asynchronously compiled in the slower, thread-safe style while
the main program loop sticks with the single-threaded fast/global
style?

This is probably not feasible in general since your entire runtime
library would have to be compiled twice and stored in memory twice?