[gambit-list] Bootable Gambit repo

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 16 20:40:58 EDT 2012

On 2012-04-16, at 4:26 PM, Marc Feeley wrote:

> I have now added the generated .c files to the github repo and changed the makefiles so that a "make commit" does not commit the generated .c files, and a "make new-revision" (and new-minor and new-major) does commit the generated .c files .  This means that cloning the github repo is sufficient to build Gambit.
>
> The steps to follow are:

I sent the previous message too quickly and did not account for the steps to build the system with all the committed changes since the latest release.  So here are the correct steps:

   git clone git at github.com:feeley/gambit.git
   cd gambit
   ./configure --enable-single-host
   make bootstrap
   make bootclean
   make bootstrap

The first "make bootstrap" builds the bootstrap compiler "gsc-boot" from the (stale) .c files.  The "make bootclean" removes these stale .c files.  The second "make bootstrap" generates up to date .c files from the up to date .scm files using gsc-boot, and replaces gsc-boot with the up to date gsc.