[gambit-list] Bootstrapping from the Gambit github repo

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Apr 13 10:40:59 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 03:46:21PM -0400, Marc Feeley wrote:

> I am proposing to include the generated .c files in the repo, but only
> commit changes occasionally.  Basically, every time a new release
> would be published (i.e. a .tar.gz with a new version number) the new
> .c files would be committed to the repository.

The .c bloat in the repository would be greatly reduced if gambit's
output were to be a continuous function of the input -- that small
changes in the gambit source code would usually produce small changes in
the .c files.  I'm already assuming, of course, that only the part of
Gambit that's absolutely necessary for the bootstrap is to be committed
as .c files.

-- hendrik