[gambit-list] New project

Alex Queiroz asandroq at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 03:29:23 EDT 2011

Hallo,

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Steve Graham <jsgrahamus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Although I have programmed for decades, I am new to Scheme/Gambit.  I
> thought that I would use a project I've been contemplating as a help in
> learning the language.
> There is a website of scriptures which I wish to download.  Some of the
> webpages, of course, are indices into books and then chapters.  So I would
> need to follow the links until I got to the actual text, which I would then
> file into a database by volume, book, chapter and verse.
> I would appreciate any hints as to how to do this.  I'm thinking I would
> need some help with downloading web pages, stripping HTML and saving to a
> database.

For downloading the page Gambit already gives you TCP sockets but you
would have to write the code for HTTP GET, which is not complex. For
parsing the HTML you will need SSAX[1], there is a "package" for it in
the Dumping Grounds[2]. Also in the Dumping Grounds you will find
several database interfaces.

[1] - http://ssax.sourceforge.net/
[2] - http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Dumping_Grounds

Cheers,