[gambit-list] Repl server on iOS?

mikel evins mevins at me.com
Sun Sep 11 13:26:50 EDT 2011

On Sep 11, 2011, at 7:25 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:

> On 2011-09-11, at 12:51 AM, mikel evins wrote:
>
>> Marc,
>>
>> I'm finding that the repl server in the source for Gambit REPL appears not to work. At least, when I try a telnet to an iOS device running Gambit REPL, the connection is refused. The same goes for my own app if I include the remote repl code, do a (start-repl-server), and try to telnet to the device.
>>
>> It'd be mighty handy to have that repl server working.
>>
>> --me
>
> This could be a networking problem, possibly the configuration of your local network.  Could you try this on your iOS device:
>
>> (socket-info-address (tcp-client-self-socket-info (open-tcp-client "apple.com:80")))
> #u8(192 168 2 16)
>> (read (open-tcp-server "*:8000"))
>
> This will block.  Then on your desktop computer try to connect with telnet:
>
> % telnet 192.168.2.16 8000
>
> This should cause the "read" on your iOS device to complete.  For example:
>
>> (read (open-tcp-server "*:8000"))
> #<input-output-port #2 (tcp-client)>
>
> It could also be a threading problem.  Is your application's event loop in C or Scheme?  If it is in C you have to arrange to periodically call a Scheme "heartbeat" function to allow the Scheme green threads to progress.  Check the function "heartbeat" in examples/iOS/program.scm .

Thanks; I'll take a look at the app, but I suspect my network or device is the problem. After some further investigation, I discovered that I'm unable connect to any socket on the iPad that I'm using for testing. In addition to the Gambit REPL app that I grabbed from the app store, I also tried a couple of http and ftp server apps; no dice with any of them. Pings work fine, but portscans show no open ports on the ipad. I'll have to dig deeper.

Thanks for the help, anyway!

--me