[gambit-list] A couple of random questions

mikel evins mevins at me.com
Fri Sep 9 19:57:15 EDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 4:19 PM, Mikael wrote:

> 2011/9/6 mikel evins <mevins at me.com>
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 3:15 PM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>>
>> > BTW, if you manage to write a generic makefile to build iOS applications from the command line (no XCode) then I'm interested in having a look.
>>
>> Can you say more about what you want to accomplish? At this stage, I'm pretty sure this is doable; the question is exactly what you want to do. For example,
>> 1) if you're okay with having an XCode project and nibfiles, and you just don't want to have to actually launch the XCode application, then it should be pretty easy. If, on the other hand,
>> 2) you want to dispense entirely with XCode projects and nibfiles then I think it's probably still doable, but not quite as easy.
>

> Hi Mike, I think there's a general interest on the list for knowing how to do either of these. If you would want to give an introductory idea of how this is done I'm sure it'd be appreciated. Kind regards, Mikael

Fair enough. Let me see if I can knock together a simple example project.

We don't presently have a project that builds an iOS app from Scheme sources without involving XCode. What we do have is several working projects that, taken together, seem to have all the pieces you would need. We have:

1. An iOS game app written partly in Gambit Scheme, and a working Gambit toolchain for building it for the iOS simulator and devices.

2. Delectus, a simple list-management app for Mac OS X that is written mainly in Gambit Scheme. It includes conventional nibfiles and some Objective-C code, but it builds from a Makefile without involving XCode.

3. A new version of one of my older apps, written entirely in Common Lisp. It presents a normal Cocoa UI, but it builds from a Makefile and uses no nibfiles at all and no XCode project.

I think that by combining approaches from those three projects I should be able to produce a sample project that builds a standard Cocoa UI on iOS without involving XCode. Of course, it's always possible that I'll run into some new snag, but I'll give it a try.

--me