[gambit-list] Test 5 failed

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Thu Oct 20 15:02:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 14:55 -0400, Marc Feeley wrote:

> I think the solution would be to normalize the representation so that on all systems the binary representation of NaN in the generated C code is the same.

Marc:

It's not good to encourage people to think that there's only one NaN per
system.  Apple's runtime library used to return different NaNs to
indicate what function was the initial cause of the NaN, etc.  Some
runtime libraries still may do so.

The failing Test 5 comes up periodically (I'm sure we discussed this
sign of NaN issue years ago); perhaps it would be best to just add some
documentation to explain the failure, or make the diff ignore that one
line.

Brad