[gambit-list] How to use a module?

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:35:38 EDT 2011

2011/10/14 Matthew Koichi Grimes <mkg at cs.nyu.edu>

> > The latter one could with benefit be switched from odt as source format
> to html; you are the first one who asks for this.
>
> For what it's worth, let me be the second who asks for this :) PDF docs are
> unpopular because they take a while to load, they usually aren't well
> hyperlinked, and individual pages can't be bookmarked in the browser.

Very well, I intend to sort this one out in some while.

> As for Black Hole, one can argue that it should be kept as a separate
> package, but there's nothing in that argument that says it can't be included
> with the default Gambit installation. I would say the same for the SRFI's
> floating around in Snow and Dumping Grounds. I would like for them to be
> included by default, and be kept "separable" if that's something the user
> cares about.
>
> Such "batteries inculded" installations are nice because they encourage
> exploratory programming by lowering the barrier to trying out new features
> (e.g. SRFI's). They also lower the adoption barrier for Gambit as a whole,
> by lessening fears that every little thing is going to be some obscure
> installation chore. This is particularly important for non-mainstream
> languages, which, with some justification, bear the stigma of being a pain
> to set up.

What about for separate download some kind of bundle distribution, Gambit +
module system + libraries package, maybe even with an autoinstaller.

There's even space to be more such package variants, anyone can just put one
together and make it available really.

(Re putting module system and libraries into the default Gambit
distribution, I believe you want to keep them separate as they're
fundamentally different things. Consider this comparison of programming
environments - Gambit as GCC, module system/B.H. as automake and bundled
libraries as - uh - Boost.)

Brgds
Mikael

-- Matt