[gambit-list] Gambit and GUI (GTK+)

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 08:17:27 EDT 2011

2011/3/31 Diogo F. S. Ramos <diogofsr at gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> I am a really gambit newbie and I was toying with the idea of creating a
> GUI application with gambit.
>
> Is there some GUI library? By that I mean a widget collection library
> like GTK+ or QT.

You can check Jazz Scheme, it's based on Gambit, multiplatform, and has a
GUI library.

As regards GTK or QT, you plug them in via the FFI. You can both make calls
to C and get callbacks from C using it. Check in the Dumping grounds on the
wiki if there's any FFI integration for them, alternatively take inspiration
from one that already exists for another Scheme implementation while
implementing your own for Gambit.

As I didn't find one

(Above)

I think it is probably a good idea to use C to
> drive the GUI part and gambit for the rest.

If by GUI part you mean an UI library such as GTK, sure.

What would be the right way to do it?

> Also, I would like to use GTK+, as I'm experienced with it, but it has
> some requirements, like having control of the main thread and never
> returning. Would this be a problem?

If your app doesn't need to do anything in the background while GTK is
having the control, then no. Otherwise, also no, but you'd need to make an
own OS thread or process for GTK's  thread.

Kind regards,
Mikael