[gambit-list] Automatic build system for Gambit

Paul Wolneykien manowar at altlinux.org
Tue Mar 29 15:30:03 EDT 2011

  Hi,

  I'm thinking of a semi-automatic system for building new releases of
Gambit tracking the main Git repository at
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/repo/gambit.git . I suppose the
process as follows: when a new release tag is published, the procedure
updates the local branch and build a new version of the Gambit, possibly
with the help of a previously built one.
  The main problem with that is that I can't see a way to provide a
consequently updated build environment as stated in
http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Contributing_Patches_to_Gambit_Source_Code.
The only thing that can be consequently updated is the clean local
source tree (with no generated files) as it published at the main Git
repository. That's because each build is handled in a separate
environment constructing from scratch. However, the result of a previous
build is available in the form of RPM package. So I've tried to use a
previous version of Gambit (4.5.3) to build the fresh release (4.6.0)
linking /usr/bin/gsc to gsc-comp in the source tree root: both `make
bootstrap' and `make' finished with an error message about gsc version
incompatibility.

  Dear community, is it generally possible to build Gambit:

  a) having only the sources published at the main Git repository?

  b) having only a) and a previous version of Gambit installed?

  If not, is the *-devel tarball is absolutely necessary to build
Gambit? And if so, can it be prepared from the main Git repository?

  Best regards,

  Paul.