[gambit-list] Gambit REPL iOS app

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Tue Mar 15 09:14:38 EDT 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 7:47 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:

> Do you think the fact that you can "telnet" to Gambit REPL makes it objectionable with respect to the Apple license

I think this would be the problem if there were any. The success of Pixie Scheme makes it clear that Apple has no problem with a non-javascript interpreter that runs new code as long as that new code is entered by the user on the iOS device itself.

Apple seems to be wary of the possibility of a remote exploit. The fact that a malicious hacker could, in theory, telnet into a user's iOS device and execute arbitrary code on a wireless carrier's network is what Apple seem to be guarding against.

OTOH, they may have no problem with it at all.

Finally, I don't know whether making it paid rather than free would have an impact on acceptance, but I bet making it iAd supported would increase the likelihood of acceptance :^)

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro
raffaelcavallaro at me.com