[gambit-list] Gambit REPL iOS app

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Mar 15 07:18:50 EDT 2011

On 2011-03-15, at 3:26 AM, mikel evins wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2011, at 1:36 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>
>> For those interested in using Gambit on the iPhone/iPad/iTouch, I have created an example (examples/iOS) which shows how to do it.
>
> Marc, what's the best approach to using this new development? Just grab the latest sources, or await a release?

On a Mac with XCode 4.0 installed:

% curl "http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.6/source/gambc-v4_6_0-devel.tgz" > "gambc-v4_6_0-devel.tgz"
% tar zxf gambc-v4_6_0-devel.tgz
% cd gambc-v4_6_0-devel
% ./configure --enable-single-host
% make -j 2
% make update
% cd examples/iOS
% make examples
% ./build-gambit-iOS
% open GambitREPL.xcodeproj

Then in XCode in the upper left corner of the main window, select the Scheme "GambitREPL-simulator | iPhone 4.3 Simulator" and click "Run".  This will compile Gambit REPL and execute it in the simulator.  In the Gambit REPL splash screen, click the "Edit Scripts" button, then scroll down to the last script, and click its "Run" button.  You can then telnet into Gambit REPL from a shell on your Mac using "telnet localhost 7000" (if it was a real device you would replace localhost with the device's IP address which you can get in the "Settings" app).

Have fun!