[gambit-list] editor support for scheme

Taylor Venable taylor at metasyntax.net
Sat Mar 12 08:33:10 EST 2011

Geany does have Lisp support, it's just not that great (you'll have to
select it manually under Document > Set Filetype > Scripting Languages
when opening a .scm file). You might also try SciTE, which is a simple
text editor that uses many features of Scintilla (the editing
component that Geany uses), for Lisp - there is no Scheme support
specifically. I was thinking of writing one in the recent past, but
I've had other projects that are more useful to me than writing a
Scheme parser for Scintilla.

I can understand the trepidation of learning a whole new system like
Emacs or Vim, but they are so powerful that for most serious
programmers the benefit would be great, doubly so inside a Unix
environment. Vim's Scheme highlighting support can be improved by
adding to the existing per-implementation additions, as I have done:
https://bitbucket.org/taylor_venable/metasyntax/src/tip/Config/vim/syntax/scheme.vim

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 06:22, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there support for Scheme in any general/mainstream programming editor?
> Unfortunatly, my editor of choice geany has no support at all for Scheme &
> Lisp. This is very surprising because geany seems to be the most used free editor.
>
> I don't wish to learn emacs just to be able to discover Scheme in a
> programmer-friendly way, and then forget all about emacs (because it's so
> different that what I'll have learnt of it cannot be reused). On the other
> hand, no support at all is too annoying (eg cannot even comment out lines of
> code). Having to switch to another editor, but one that works in a common way,
> is less of an issue.
>
> Denis
> --

Taylor C. Venable