[gambit-list] A couple of random questions

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jul 25 06:55:56 EDT 2011

On 2011-07-25, at 4:44 AM, mikel evins wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2011, at 3:06 AM, Alex Queiroz wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM, mikel evins <mevins at me.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What's more, I'd like to set up and configure Gambit for development, along with some local libraries and tools, and package the resulting development platform as a file tree that other programmers can simply check out or untar on their systems to obtain the tools, with no (or minimal) additional configuration.
>>>
>>> I've set up Gambit a number of times to build OSX apps (indeed, I have a Gambit-based app on the App Store). I've also set up and built iOS projects.
>>>
>>> What I would like to do now is set up for both, and on iOS both for simulators and for devices, preferably with everything in a common containing directory so that the whole set of tools can conveniently be cloned from one machine to another. That way, that all involved programmers can easily set up identical toolsets.
>>>

>> I forked a project from James Long in GitHub[1] which is a "configure
>> script helper", calling configure with appropriated parameters for
>> creating binaries for the iOS simulator and for devices. It puts each
>> one in its own tree, where you can keep adding libraries for each
>> environment. I hope this helps.
>
> THanks much; I'll give it a look. It just might be the right thing.

Note that there is a similar script in the Gambit distribution.  If you execute the script examples/iOS/build-gambit-iOS it will build Gambit in 2 configurations (for the real iPhone/iPad and for the simulator).  If you uncomment the last line of the script, it will also build Gambit for Mac OS X.  The script is highly automated (it even downloads a recent Gambit distribution, updates it with the latest patches on the Gambit repository, builds it for the device and simulator, and combines the libraries into one using "lipo").  You should also take a look at examples/iOS/GambitREPL.xcodeproj if you want to see an Xcode project which can run on the device and simulator.

If you can wait until this afternoon, I will be committing my latest GambitREPL patches to the repository.