[gambit-list] How to get the correct Tag for a call to POINTER_to_SCMOBJ (FFI)

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Jul 19 09:25:48 EDT 2011

Sorry for not responding sooner.  I'm a bit busy right now, but I should have some time this afternoon to take a closer look into this.

Here are some ideas...

1) Have you compiled Gambit with the --enable-cplusplus option?

2) Are you using multiple inheritance for your Node type?  The casts may cause problems in this case.

3) You say your code segfaults when not using the #f to omit typechecks.  This is strange.  You should get an error message, not a segfault.

4) The code:

> (define get-childnodes
>    (c-lambda (Node*) scheme-object "LIST_to_SCMOBJ<Node*>(___arg1->childs(), &___result);")))

is strange.  The function LIST_to_SCMOBJ returns an error code, and a result in the second parameter.  You are ignoring the error code, which is not a good idea.  It is best to implement conversion operations on your type.  For example:

(c-define-type Node* "Node*"
  "NodeSTAR_to_SCMOBJ"
  "SCMOBJ_to_NodeSTAR"
  #t)

(c-declare #<<END

#define ___BEGIN_SFUN_NodeSTAR_to_SCMOBJ(src,dst,i) \
if ((___err = NodeSTAR_to_SCMOBJ(src, &dst, i)) == ___FIX(___NO_ERR)) {
#define ___END_SFUN_NodeSTAR_to_SCMOBJ(src,dst,i) \
___EXT(___release_scmobj)(dst); }

END
)

Finally, the arg_num parameter is there to generate precise error code which indicate which parameter of a foreign function did not have the correct type.

Marc