[gambit-list] Gambit-C and multi-core devices

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Jul 4 11:38:23 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 04:17:42PM +0200, Alex Queiroz wrote:
> Hallo,
>
>      Now that even smartphones get dual-core processors, I am
> wondering how can we use Gambit-C in a way to take advantage of that.
> Desktop machines with eight cores will be in widespread use soon. I
> know there is Termite but AFAIK it works by exchaging messages between
> different processes, not threads in the same process. Is anybody
> working on some solution for this?

I believe that Modula 3 now implements multithreading using pthreads,
and they have a garbage collector.  I'm currently investigating how
their implementation handles garbage collection.  Does it stop the
world?  Or does it manage collector concurrency.

It might be possible to have gambit-generated C code live on top of part
of the Modula 3 run-time system.  Or learn how they do it all in detail
and reimplement some of that stuff for Gambit.  Or maybe have a
gambit-modula3?

--- hendrik