[gambit-list] x86 back end

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Jan 27 02:42:22 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:42:31PM -0500, Marc Feeley wrote:

> On 2011-01-26, at 6:38 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > Does that x86 back end generate code directly into memory, augmenting
> > the running system?  Or does it generate code into a file that has to be
> > executed from the OS?
>
> The back-end includes an assembler which can output the machine code to a byte vector or a file.  In the tests I have done the code was generated into memory and executed without accessing the filesystem.

Great!  That's what I was hoping for.  I've been tinkering with some
similar stuff, but without using a nice language to write the code
generator in (I used C/C++) and was just realising I needed a better
notation for expressing the code generation patterns -- A better
notation such as that available in Scheme.  I was trying to be
source-language-agnostic.

Any chance I could have a look at your code, and possibly repurpose it?

-- hendrik