[gambit-list] Namespaces

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Feb 23 09:56:08 EST 2011

On 2011-02-23, at 9:30 AM, nitralime wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Where can I find some documentations about Namespaces in Gambit?
> The section 7 in manual says:
>
> 7. Namespaces
>
> TO DO!

As you can see the documentation is lagging the implementation... namespaces have been in Gambit for quite a long time!  I have hesitated documenting them because I was hoping the R6RS process would propose a module system that would subsume namespaces, but that didn't happen.

Anyway, the following links give a brief description of the namespace mechanism:

  http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/Gambit-inside-out.pdf (pages 30 to 33)
  http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Namespaces

The first link explains conventions to use in structuring Scheme code to get the equivalent of a simple module system.

Some users have also written about Gambit namespaces:

  http://smallnum.blogspot.com/2007/08/yay-for-simplicity-gambits-namespacing.html
  http://phildawes.net/blog/2007/04/21/gambit-c-namespaces/