[gambit-list] 0mq with Gambit

Jason E. Aten j.e.aten at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 20:51:53 EDT 2011

I'd be very interested in seeing how to integrate ZeroMQ as the transport
for Termite (which is built atop Gambit).  Since ZeroMQ gives you very fast
interprocess communication (as well as transparent distributed systems and
message queuing) using, the result of such an integration would give you a
naturally multicore version of Gambit.

I haven't looked at the details of how the Termite mailbox (single message
queue) is implemented, but it seems to this would give an incredibly cool
and scalable system.

I'd be interested in seeing if this could happen. Feng, would you like to
collaborate on this?

Best,
Jason

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Feng Hou <houfen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Gambit has great concurrency support by green-thread and no-blocking I/O
> scheduling. However, they are only able to use one native thread on
> multicore hardware. I have noticed some wish list on wiki for
> multicore/multiprocessing concurrency support. I'm wondering whether 0MQ (
> http://www.zeromq.org/) can be used as substance for Gambit to build
> such capabilities.
>
> My thoughts are,
>
> -- Not just a FFI binding.
> -- Use it as message passing broker for multicore and distributed
> concurrency.
> -- Share nothing between the GVM thread and other in-process native threads
> (doing long CPU bound computation or blocking I/O).
> -- How to integrate 0MQ inter-thread transport to gambit green-thread
> scheduler without blocking it?
> -- Would it be possible to bind 0MQ inter-thread socket to gambit mailbox?
> -- How to integrate 0MQ I/O event poller with gambit I/O loop?
> -- Would it be better to expose 0MQ IPC/TCP/PGM socket types as Gambit Port
> objects?
>
> I realized they were way beyond my knowledge and skill level to implement
> (some may not even make sense, please correct me). Nevertheless, just want
> to see if others have similar thoughts or needs.
>
> Cheers,
> Feng Hou

Jason E. Aten, Ph.D.