[gambit-list] Using Gambit Scheme with Xcode

John Velman velman at cox.net
Sun Apr 3 19:47:49 EDT 2011

I've tinkered with learning scheme off and on for years, but never had
enough incentive to stick to it.  Now, with Pixie Scheme III, a real
programming language implementation, on the iPad, I'm taking another shot
at Scheme.

My main computer is an iMac running OS X 10.6.7;  My Xcode is 3.2.5;  I have
the iOS development kit, but haven't yet started any apps for iPad/iPhone.
Right now I'm working on a couple of OS X cocoa apps (in addition to
coming up to speed on Scheme).

I'd like to be able to do two things with Scheme, hopefully without a lot of
difficulty:

1) Develop OS X applications in Xcode, using C libraries written in Scheme
for the Model part of MVC, and Cocoa doing the, with Cocoa doing the
View-Controller stuff.

Are there any good examples or tutorials available for generating, with
Gambit Scheme, C-Library routines that can be copied into an Xcode project
and then used with minimum modification to the Xcode project?

2) I have an application I'm developing (in Cocoa for OS X) mainly to
explore some math concepts I'm interested in, for my own use.  Since it is
by nature exploratory, it seems like a good idea to have an extension
language.  Scheme seems like a good choice.

Are there any good examples or tutorials that would get me started using
Gambit to add an embedded extension language to an Xcode project?

                          ---
Googling is frustrating because of so many hits about chess, Xcode
schemes, cocoa importing, and so on, but I've tried as many combinations as
I can think of.  The only thing I've found that is possibly useful is from
http://jlongster.com/legacy/scheme-iphone-apps.html, which is stated to be
out-of-date, and the link for an up to date reference doesn't work.

I spent a lot of hours a while back getting a Fibonacci generator written
in Haskell into a cocoa application.  I published this on the Haskell Wiki.
The process was so onerous I never tried it again.  Hope this isn't also
true of Scheme.

Thanks,

John Velman