[gambit-list] gambit and racket

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Oct 14 01:13:50 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-13, at 10:28 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:21:36PM -0400, Marc Feeley wrote:
>>
>> On 2010-10-13, at 9:55 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering -- is there any level of compatibility between Gambit and
>>> Racket (nee PLT Schene) beyond the fact that both implement Scheme?
>>
>> What form of "compatibility" are you interested in?
>
> Just wondering how much effort it would be to try and straddle the fence
> and write a nontrivial program that can be made to run on both systems,
> modula a few custom modules for each system.
>
> Yes, I know this is vague.  But the program hasn't been written yet.

I guess it depends on what you want to implement.  I wrote the Gambit compiler in pure R4RS code.  It has over 25 KLOC and up till a few years ago you could load it in any R5RS conformant system.  Now if you are writing a video game, or a web server, that might be a different story (because you'll need some external libraries and Gambit and Racket have different, although similar, FFIs).