[gambit-list] Porting to "small" machines -- target requirements?

Marco Benelli mbenelli at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 05:33:45 EDT 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca>
>
> To my knowledge recent  versions of Gambit have been compiled on the following
>embedded  systems:
>
> - Nintendo DS (ARM CPU, 4 MB RAM)
> - Linksys WRT54GL (MIPS  CPU?, 16 MB RAM)
> - iPhone/iTouch (ARM CPU, 128 MB RAM)
> - Xilinx Virtex II  FPGA (PowerPC CPU, a few MB of RAM)
>
> Search the Gambit mailing list  archive for details.
>
> Gambit was designed to be extremely portable.   It has very few library
>dependencies (libc is enough to have a working  system).

I think all these system have a MMU.  Can Gambit run on a no-MMU system?

I'd like to propose Gambit for a project based on ucLinux on a Renesas SH7203.
AFAIK, ucLinux's malloc() uses mmap() instead of brk(), it is a iusse wrt memory
management?

Thank in advance for experiences reports and suggestions.

--marco