[gambit-list] A register is not initialized in gvm code?

Oleg Parashchenko olpa at xmlhack.ru
Tue Nov 23 07:22:05 EST 2010

Hello Marc,

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:10:46 -0500
Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I checked PHP, which I wasn't very familiar with, and it seems to have
> a similar syntax (in the sense of "program structure") as JavaScript.
> In particular they both have closures and GC, and don't have tail calls.

PHP made me a nasty surprise, I did not expect that a popular language
implemented closures only recently:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4155254/anonymous-functions-lambdas-closures-in-php-4
`` Some changes have been made starting with PHP 5.3, but even there you
don't have your expected variable scopes that would allow you to do what
you have in your examples. ''

By the way, this is the reason why I stopped with CPSCM: this interesting
project relies on the host language for implementing closures.

> So if you start writing a back-end, I suggest that you supports both
> languages.  In fact, you could support other target languages with
> similar properties (including Python, Ruby, elisp, ...).  It should be
> easy to abstract the superficial differences between these languages in
> the "code generator" of the back-end.

The idea is great, but right now I'm not the right person who is able to
make such abstraction.

--
Oleg Parashchenko  olpa@ http://uucode.com/
http://uucode.com/blog/  XML, TeX, Python, Mac, Chess