[gambit-list] terminal behaviour in Gambit

Oisín denpashogai at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 07:20:41 EST 2010

On 8 November 2010 02:23, Adrien Piérard <pierarda at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> 2010/11/7 Michele Zaffalon <michele.zaffalon at gmail.com>:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi Michele
>
> > I am using Gambit from the terminal: is it it possible to change the
> > terminal behaviour so that if you type a partial word and hit up
> > arrow, the terminal tries to complete it with a command from the past
> > command history that matches the partial word, not just with the last
> > command?
>
> This behaviour is, as far as I know, not very common.
> Most pervasive completion systems are based on the readline library,
> which Gambit reimplemented if I remember correctly.
> So, <up> will always give you the previous command in history (though
> some of us believe that the previous S-exp would be better).
> In your case, what you want is to use <tab>, form completion. And this
> works well.

Readline implements incremental search with C-r, which works like the OP
describes (C-r, then start typing to match against history), so rlwrap can
be useful for dealing with prompts that don't provide any such functionality
(I use it with sqlite3's repl).
Gambit doesn't respond to C-r, on my system anyway, but it might be easy
enough to implement a similar incremental search?