[gambit-list] problem with 'make update'

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Wed Mar 24 13:46:47 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 15:34 +0100, Breanndán Ó Nualláin wrote:
> I tried to build an up-to-date version of Gambit on Ubuntu 9.10 following
> the instructions here:
>
>     http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Contributing_Patches_to_Gambit_Source_Code
>
> This is the sequence of commands used:
>
>     $ cd ~/code/src/
>     $ wget -c http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.3/source/gambc-v4_3_2-devel.tgz
>     $ tar zxf gambc-v4_3_2-devel.tgz
>     $ rm -rf gambit
>     $ mv gambc-v4_3_2-devel gambit
>     $ cd gambit
>     $ ./configure --enable-single-host --enable-gcc-opts --prefix=/usr/local/lib/gambit
>     $ make bootstrap
>     $ make update

Marc has never found it important to be able to use "make update" to
update from one release to the next.  (I presume that's because he
doesn't use "make update" to update from one release to the next.)  The
"make update" command used above tries to update 4.3.2 to 4.6.0 (the
current release), which doesn't work.  You can use "make update" to
update to changes "within" a release cycle.

> It fails at this point while trying to make all in ./lib
>
> The command it fails on is
>
>     ../gsc-comp -:~~bin=../bin,~~lib=../lib,~~include=../include -f -c -check _io.scm
>
> The error message is that the usage of the gsc-comp command is incorrect.

It would have been more helpful for you to actually copy the error
message to your e-mail.

Brad