[gambit-list] Building Gambit with the native Microsoft compiler suite

Ben Goetter goetter at mazama.net
Tue Jan 19 18:45:56 EST 2010

Folks,

In the "vs2008" branch of the Gambit fork at
http://github.com/goetter/gambit I have an nmake-compatible set of
Makefiles that build Gambit with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, that is,
without the tools of mingw or msys.  It supports make bootstrap and make
bootclean, but not yet make update (I have a suitable script that I'll
test once the master branch advances a couple more releases).

To use, from the topmost Gambit source directory, type misc\winbuild.
You may need to edit this batch file if your copy of VS2008 is installed
to a drive other than C:  winbuild currents knows the following targets:
clean, bootclean, realclean, bootstrap, all.

This environment will build a native Win64 Gambit as well.  You will
need to edit misc\winbuild.bat and misc\winconf.mak per the comments in
each.

I will fix bugs in this branch as I find them (win64 + wide character
system calls is good for flushing out such), and will offer those fixes
to Marc for possible incorporation into "master" as appropriate.

(If I've erred, please let me know.  My git-fu is weak.)
Ben