[gambit-list] Profiling compiled Gambit Scheme code

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Thu Feb 18 13:39:34 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 18:37 -0500, James Long wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm working on profiling some compiled Gambit Scheme code.  I just
> wrote a quick article on some of my first attempts:
>
> http://jlongster.com/blog/2010/02/17/profiling-gambit/

Cool.

> My question is: what are some best practices?  So far, I've compiled
> my code with "-track-scheme" and "-debug-location".

You can recompile the Gambit runtime with these flags, which may help
disambiguate some of those calls, I don't know.  I first built gambit in
the usual way, so that gsc-comp exists, then I

   239	13:31	make realclean
   244	13:32	./configure CC=/pkgs/gcc-4.2.4/bin/gcc --enable-single-host --enable-multitple-versions

then I edited lib/makefile by hand to get

.scm.c:
         $(rootfromhere)/gsc-comp -:~~bin=$(srcdirpfx)$(rootfromhere)/bin,~~lib=$(srcdirpfx)$(rootfromhere)/lib,~~include=$(srcdirpfx)$(rootfromhere)/include -f -c -check -track-scheme -debug-location $(srcdirpfx)$*.scm

It takes quite a bit longer to compile the library files.  And I don't
quite how to get this to work with a cross-compile.  (Build Gambit
natively first to get a native gsc-comp, and then build it again as a
cross compiler?)

Brad