[gambit-list] swank-gambit.scm question

REPLeffect repleffect at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:25:54 EST 2010

On 2/11/10, James Long <longster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:56 PM, REPLeffect <repleffect at gmail.com> wrote:
>> James (and Marc),
>>
>>  I've looked and I don't see anything about licensing on the Gambit
>> Scheme backend.  I believe James said he started with Marc's code and
>> fleshed it out from there, so I'll direct the question to both of you.
>>  What are the license terms for using this code?  Does it fall under
>> the same licenses as Gambit itself?
>
> Yes, that's probably appropriate.  Honestly, I haven't have much
> experience with licenses.  I know Gambit is release under a dual LGPL
> and Apache 2 license.  Do I just need to add those two license files
> in the root of the project?
>
> - James

You should probably coordinate with Marc, since you started with his
code.  One simple way to do it would be to add a comment to the code
similar to what Gambit's docs have:

"The Gambit-C system release v4.6.0 is Copyright   1994-2009 by Marc
Feeley, all rights reserved. The Gambit-C system release v4.6.0 is
licensed under two licenses: the Apache License, Version 2.0, and the
GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 2.1. You have the option to
choose which of these two licenses to abide by. The licenses are
copied below."

Instead of saying "The licenses are copied below", you could say
something like "see the files LICENSE-2.0.txt and LGPL.txt which
should have been included with this file for the details of each
license." -- those are the two files that are currently included with
Gambit that contain the information for each license.

Again, I would suggest getting with Marc and getting his approval,
since you started with his code, and the two of you can work out the
copyright wording.

And, of course, you *should* include the two license files (the root
of the project seems a logical place for them to me).